Common Name: Aconite, Monks-hood or Wolfbane
The Aconite plant is highly toxic but safe when prepared in homeopathic potencies. It suits intense symptoms with a rapid onset, especially symptoms that commence at night after the person has been chilled or exposed to dry, cold wind earlier that day. Patients tend to be restless, fearful, and oversensitive to pain. When symptoms match, it’s an important homeopathic remedy for croup, ear infections, high fevers, flu, and shock or fright, or chronic complaints that began following shock or fright. Aconite is best given in the first 24 hours of symptoms and is less helpful following that time.
Colds and Flu
- Rapid onset of symptoms after being chilled or exposed to dry, cold winds.
- Face hot and flushed, or deathly white, or one cheek red and the other pale (cf. Chamomilla).
- High fever and burning head, relieved by perspiration.
Cough and Croup
- Early stage of rapid onset croup with dry cough.
- Early stage of upper respiratory infections with rapid onset.
- Middle ear infections which come on suddenly (often triggered by exposure to cold, dry wind).
- External ear hot, red and swollen.
- Conjunctivitis from exposure to dry cold winds.
- Inflammation after injury to the eye.
- Painful, watering, and sensitive to light.
- After traumatic experience, e.g. car accident, bad news, fright.
- Tremendous fear, fear of death.
- Panic, breathlessness, fear and restlessness, sometimes with palpitations and numbness or tingling.
- When intensely fearful or panicked, e.g. vehicle rides (cars, floats, etc.), visits to vets, fireworks, nail or fur clipping.
- Any sudden onset of an acute inflammatory condition (fever, swelling, infection) – first stage only.
Where do I find it?
Aconite is available from our online store as a single remedy and is also included in the following Complexes (combination remedies): Common Cold – Watery; Croup – Simple; Emotional Shock; Panic Stop; Winter Defence.
While the above self-limiting, acute complaints are suitable for home treatment with Aconite, see your healthcare provider if your symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Aconite is also useful for a range of chronic or persistent complaints not listed; these are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 10 minutes to two hours (10 minutes for intense symptoms, 2 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our free weekly newsletter, full of world news on homeopathy. Subscribe to it at: http://mad.ly/signups/46424/join.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.