Common Names: Calc-carb; calcium carbonate.
Calcarea carbonica (Calc.) is prepared from the middle calcium layer of the oyster shell. It treats a wide range of symptoms. Those needing Calc. are usually responsible, dependable people who are prone to feeling overwhelmed. They may be large in build, have a strong appetite, gain weight easily and become flabby. They also have poor stamina and experience shortness of breath on exertion when climbing stairs or hills. A craving for eggs, sweets or indigestible things such as dirt or charcoal (especially in children) is common. In spite of chilliness they may sweat around the head and neck or have cold, clammy hands and feet. They are inclined to anxiety and over-cautiousness, and dislike change.
- Anxieties and apprehensions: heights, health, mice, rats, insanity, animals – especially dogs, and more.
- Highly sensitive to unpleasant things or cruelty.
- Cautiousness with a feeling of vulnerability.
- Avoidance of change and new things. Prefer a set routine.
- Obstinate and stubborn.
Joint and Bone Problems
- Rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis (when other symptoms suit).
- Joint pains that worsen in cold, damp weather.
- Poorly healing fractures (when other symptoms suit).
- Painful, swollen breasts, especially before menses
- Coughs and colds (when other symptoms suit).
- Heavy bleeding during menses, especially around the time of menopause.
- Uterine fibroids (when other symptoms suit).
Gastrointestinal (Digestive) Problems
- Sluggish digestion with constipation (when other symptoms suit).
- Constipated but no urge to pass a stool.
- Milk intolerance (when other symptoms suit).
- Craving for indigestible things such as dirt and charcoal.
Teeth / Dental
- Slow, difficult or painful teething.
- Perspiration on head or neck, especially at night during sleep.
- Cold, clammy feet and hands.
- Sour smelling perspiration.
- Big build and gain weight easily.
- Lethargy with joint problems.
- Anxiety with change.
Where do I find it?
Calcarea carbonica (Calc.) is available from our online store as a single remedy, and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Anxiety; Cramps – Muscular; Earache; Foot Sweat; Fracture Help; Insomnia from Overactive Mind; Reflux; Sprains and Strains; Teething.
While the above self-limiting, acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, some of which may be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage strategy so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
Take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 to 4 hours (1 hour for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our free weekly newsletter, full of world news on homeopathy. Subscribe to it at: http://mad.ly/signups/46424/join.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.