Common Name: Poison nut: Quaker buttons.
Nux vomica is prepared from the strychnine-containing seeds of the Strychnine or Poison Nut tree. Once prepared in homeopathic potencies, the remedy is non-toxic and safe for use with infants through to the elderly. Those who need Nux vomica do things to excess. They overwork and overindulge in food, coffee, stimulants, and alcohol (it is a key remedy for hangover). They are competitive, driven, irritable, and intolerant of the shortcomings of others. Eventually, nervous exhaustion leads to sleep difficulties, and sensitivity to smells, light, and sound. Pains are cramping and spasmodic, and worsened by sedentary habits.
- Sneezing on waking or after eating.
- Nose runs during the day but blocked or stuffy at night.
- Better for fresh air and worse for warm, stuffy rooms.
- High fever with chills, backache, shivering, and sweating.
- Chilled by the slightest draft or movement under the big clothes.
- Sore, bruised pains in bones and joints.
- Worse in the morning after overindulgence (hangover), loss of sleep or mental strain.
- Bilious, dizzy, and oversensitive to light, noise, smells.
- From mental exertion, worry, or alcohol.
- Wakes between 3 to 4 a.m. and falls asleep again when time to get up.
- Indigestion from alcohol, rich food, or coffee, or mental strain.
- Gastritis and ulcers.
- Bitter, sour belching. Flatulence from tight clothing.
- Cramping pains better for warmth or warm drinks.
- Vomiting, diarrhoea or constipation with ineffectual urging.
- Constipation from sedentary habits, travelling, overeating.
- Constant urging, relieved by sitting in a warm bath.
- Digestive upsets after excessive or rich food.
- Irritability with constipation.
- Poisoning by noxious plants
Where do I find it?
Nux vomica (Nux) is available from our online store as a single remedy and is also included in the following Complexes (combination remedies): Colic; Common Colic – Watery; Hay Fever; Headache – Migraine; Indigestion; Jet-Lag; Nausea; Over-indulgence & Hangover; Reflux; Smoke Stop; Snore Ease; Teething; Winter Defence.
While the above self-limiting, acute complaints are suitable for home treatment with Nux vomica, see your healthcare provider if your symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Nux vomica is also useful for a range of chronic or persistent complaints not listed; these are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 30 minutes to 4 hours (30 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our free weekly newsletter, full of world news on homeopathy. Subscribe to it at: http://mad.ly/signups/46424/join.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.