Common Names: Ipecac.
Ipecac was used by conventional medicine
in the past to initiate vomiting when poisons had been swallowed. Homeopathically, it treats types of nausea and vomiting, especially when accompanied by complaints such as pain, bleeding (haemorrhage), asthma or bronchitis. The person who needs Ipecac will be thirstless but have profuse salivation with a clean tongue, and vomiting won’t relieve their nausea or the underlying complaint. Instead, they often feel worse for vomiting. Heat or warm environments also worsen symptoms. Ipecac is also useful for spasmodic respiratory complaints such as croup, bronchitis, asthma and gagging, retching coughs.
Gastrointestinal (Digestive) Problems
- Profuse salivation during nausea.
- Nausea with a clean tongue.
- Complaints accompanied by constant nausea that are either relieved or worsened by vomiting.
- Vomiting when bending over or stooping.
- Stomach feels as though it is hanging loosely in the abdomen.
- Spasmodic respiratory complaints.
- Rattling, loose cough in warm, humid weather.
- Dry, spasmodic cough which ends in choking, gagging, or vomiting.
- Croup, bronchiolitis, bronchitis or asthma with a spasmodic, suffocating cough, especially in children.
- Migraines with severe nausea and vomiting.
- Uterine haemorrhage, often in gushes, that is accompanied by weakness, nausea or vomiting.
- Sudden bleeding of bright red blood that is slow to coagulate.
- Any type of pain that is accompanied by constant nausea.
- Prolonged nausea and vomiting with weakness.
- Sudden and profuse bleeding of bright red blood.
Where do I find it?
Ipecacuanha (Ip.) is available from our online store as a single remedy, and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Cough – Loose; Nausea.
While the above self-limiting, acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, some of which may be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage strategy so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
Take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 15 minutes to 4 hours (15 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our free weekly newsletter, full of world news on homeopathy. Subscribe to it at: http://mad.ly/signups/46424/join.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.