Common Name: Aconite, Monks-hood or Wolfbane.
The Aconite plant is highly toxic but safe when prepared in homeopathic potencies. It suits intense symptoms with a rapid onset, especially symptoms that commence at night after the person has been chilled or exposed to dry, cold wind earlier that day. Patients tend to be restless, fearful, and oversensitive to pain. When symptoms match, it’s an important homeopathic remedy for croup, ear infections, high fevers, flu, and shock or fright, or chronic complaints that began following shock or fright. Aconite is best given in the first 24 hours of symptoms and is less helpful following that time.
Colds and Flu
- Rapid onset of symptoms after being chilled or exposed to dry, cold winds.
- Face hot and flushed, or deathly white, or one cheek red and the other pale (cf. Chamomilla).
- High fever and burning head, relieved by perspiration.
Cough and Croup
- Early stage of rapid onset croup with dry cough.
- Early stage of upper respiratory infections with rapid onset.
- Middle ear infections which come on suddenly (often triggered by exposure to cold, dry wind).
- External ear hot, red and swollen.
- Conjunctivitis from exposure to dry cold winds.
- Inflammation after injury to the eye.
- Painful, watering, and sensitive to light.
- After traumatic experience, e.g. car accident, bad news, fright.
- Tremendous fear, fear of death.
- Panic, breathlessness, fear and restlessness, sometimes with palpitations and numbness or tingling.
- When intensely fearful or panicked, e.g. vehicle rides (cars, floats, etc.), visits to vets, fireworks, nail or fur clipping.
- Any sudden onset of an acute inflammatory condition (fever, swelling, infection) – first stage only.
Where do I find it?
Aconite is available from our online store as a single remedy and is also included in the following Complexes (combination remedies): Common Cold – Watery; Croup – Simple; Emotional Shock; Panic Stop; Winter Defence.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, also contact your healthcare provider during emergency situations or if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 10 minutes to two hours (10 minutes for intense symptoms, 2 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.