Common Names: Ant-tart; tartar emetic; antimony tartrate; antimony potassium tartrate.
Antimonium tartaricum (Ant-t.) is a useful remedy for weakness with rattling respiration – the person is too weak, and their coughs too feeble, to clear the mucus from their chest. When symptoms suit, this remedy can be used for congested chests at any stage of life but it is more often needed during infancy and old age, or at the end-stage of disease. The person will be weak, drowsy, sweaty, and want to be left alone. Their tongue may have a heavy, white coating and if eating or drinking, acids, sour drinks, apples, or juicy things are preferred.
- Weakness with overwhelming sleepiness.
- Want to be left alone.
- Don’t want to be looked at.
- Frequent yawning.
- Rapid breathing.
- Shortness of breath.
- Loose, rattling cough but scanty expectoration – unable to cough it out.
- Cyanosis (blueness from lack of oxygen) in babies.
- Suffocative cough and wheezing, especially in the elderly or those at the end stage of disease.
- Types of bronchitis, from simple to severe – symptoms must match.
- Types of pneumonia – symptoms must match.
- White-coated tongue with respiratory complaints.
- Craving for acidic, sour, juicy things.
- Rattling respiration and coughs, with tiredness.
Where do I find it?
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 to 4 hours (1 hour for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.