Common Names: Western honey bee, European honey bee.
Apis treats symptoms similar to those of a bee sting – swelling, burning, prickling, stinging, and redness. They may be from a bite, sting, allergic reaction, or joint inflammation and are relieved by cold applications and worsened by warmth or pressure. The sufferer is often thirstless, restless, and possibly awkward or clumsy.
Insect Bites and Bee Stings / Allergic Reactions
- Rapid swelling with itching, stinging, prickling pains.
- Pains in swellings better for cold applications and worse for heat.
- Pink, waxy, transparent swellings.
- Elevated, white wheals / hives / urticaria
- Nettle-type rash.
- Swollen lips and tongue.
- Rapid doses of Apis can be given during severe allergic reactions or anaphylactic shock when there is rapid swelling and difficult breathing while seeking or waiting for emergency help.
- Swollen lids, especially bottom ones, from allergy or inflammation.
- Red, burning, sore eyes that are better for cold applications and worse for heat.
- Sensitive to light.
- Splinter-like pains on swallowing.
- Large, smooth, swollen tonsils.
- Pain better for cold drinks.
Cystitis and Bladder Problems
- Burning pain during urination.
- Last drops burn and sting.
- Retention of urine in newborns.
- Acute kidney failure.
- Swollen, hot, and inflamed joints.
- Pain and swelling better for cold applications and worse for warmth.
- Insect bites and stings.
- Acute kidney failure, especially in cats, in which little urine is passed.
- Swollen, hot joints.
Where do I find it?
Apis mellifica (Apis.) is available from our online store as a single remedy, and as part of the Bites and Stings Complex (combination remedy.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 30 seconds to 4 hours (30 seconds for intense symptoms such as those of a life-threatening allergic reaction, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our free weekly newsletter, full of world news on homeopathy. Subscribe to it at: http://mad.ly/signups/46424/join.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.