Common Names: Wolf’s bane; leopard’s bane.
Arnica montana (Arn.) is perhaps the best known homeopathic remedy for injuries and bruising to soft tissues. It’s useful for soreness and bruising after falls, blows, childbirth or surgery. It’s also useful for types of shock, concussion and sprains. An unusual symptom associated with Arnica is that after injury, the person may believe nothing is wrong with them, not want to be touched, want to be left alone, and will even send medical care away. Discharges (stool, belching, vomit) have to odour of spoiled, rotten eggs.
Injuries and Surgery
- Injuries or bruising from blunt (rather than sharp) objects.
- Sore, bruised pain.
- Promotes healing reduces bruising after surgery.
- Following dental extractions and procedures.
- Fear of the painful area being touched.
- Concussion, or complaints following concussion.
- Symmetrical eruptions on skin (the same on both sides of the body).
- Crops of small, painful boils
- (Note: do not use herbal-strength Arnica cream or tincture on broken skin.)
Joints and Muscles
- Sprains and strains.
- Soreness with bruised feeling from overexertion.
- Everything feels too hard and uncomfortable (seat, bed, pillow).
Heart and Circulation
- Angina pectoris with a bruised and sore sensation.
- Bed feels too hard.
- Restlessness when overtired.
- Sleeplessness from overexertion or exhaustion.
Pregnancy and Labour
- Movements of the unborn baby feel intense and painful.
- Does not want to be touched during labour.
- Bruised and sore sensation either during or after labour.
- Injuries that involve bruising or shock.
- After surgery.
- After birthing.
Where do I find it?
Arnica (Arn.) is available from our online store as a single remedy, and in the following Complexes (combination remedies): Bruises; Fracture Help; Jet-Lag; Joints (Sore); Sprains and Strains.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 to 4 hours (1 hour for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our free weekly newsletter, full of world news on homeopathy. Subscribe to it at: http://mad.ly/signups/46424/join.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.