Common Name: Wild indigo; rattleweed; horsefly weed.
Traditionally, Baptisia has been a remedy for serious infections or sepsis. It has also been used for types of diphtheria, flu, and typhoid fever. The person needing it is drowsy and falls asleep while responding to questions but also restless from body aches and pains. Delirium and confusion may also be present. The mouth or discharges (stool, perspiration, urine) have a putrid odour and the face confused and dusky in colour. Baptisia may be used with conventional medicines, without interactive or toxic side-effects.
- Drowsiness to the point of coma.
- As if drunk, intoxicated, sleepy.
- May respond to questions but falls asleep mid-sentence or immediately on answering.
- Confused sensations and delusions about body – as if it is broken or double, separated or scattered, enlarged or twice its normal size, or limbs “talking” to each other.
- Dull, confused, stupid expression.
- Dark red congestion.
Mouth and Throat
- Putrid odour from mouth.
- Ragged ulceration of tongue and throat.
- Painlessness of ulcerated, inflamed throat.
- Throat spasms – gagging on solid food but able to swallow liquids.
- Bruised and sore pains with muscles and joints.
- Unable to get comfortable in any position – bed feels too hard (c.f. Arn; Rhus-t; Pyrog.).
Where do I find it?
Baptisia tinctorial (Bapt.) is available from our online store as a single remedy in either liquids or pills.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 hour to 4 hours (1 hour for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our free weekly newsletter, full of world news on homeopathy. Subscribe to it at: http://mad.ly/signups/46424/join.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.