Common Names: Barium carbonate; witherite; BaC03.
When symptoms suit, Baryta carbonica (Bar-c.) is useful for all ages but is more often needed at either end of life – during childhood or old age.
Children needing Bar-c are anxious and prone to swollen glands, especially the tonsils. Mental and physical development is often slow causing delays in learning to walk, talk, or read. They may be small for age and have poor development of body parts, especially the genitals and reproductive organs.
On reaching adulthood, those needing Bar-c are often described as looking young for their age.
During old age, childlike senility and anxiety is common. Body parts or organs may shrink, especially the genitals. Arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) leads to heart disease and cerebrovascular accidents (strokes).
Other symptoms associated with Bar-c include frequent colds, weakness after eating, or sensitive to cold air but feeling hot on waking.
- Delayed mental development. Slow comprehension.
- Indecisive and dependent on others. Passive and easily influenced. Timidity, bashfulness, extreme shyness.
- Feelings of vulnerability and insecurity.
- Lack of self-confidence with feelings of inferiority.
- Hiding behind furniture or mother, especially from strangers.
- Nervous nail-biting.
- Imagine they are watched, talked about, or laughed at.
- Anxiety disorders with strong need for reassurance.
- Childlike senility and anxiety in the elderly.
- Thinking about problems worsens symptoms.
Ear, Nose, and Throat
- Enlarged, hard cervical glands.
- Chronic swelling of tonsils and adenoids. Tonsils may enlarge to the point of almost occluding the throat.
- Difficulty in swallowing from swollen tonsils or glands.
- Difficult in hearing from swollen tonsils or glands.
- Smallness of genitals, ovaries, or uterus.
- Bed-wetting or incontinence with anxiety.
- Enlarged prostate gland.
- Cold feet.
- Offensive and excoriating foot sweat.
Where do I find it?
Baryta carbonica (Bar-c.) is available from our online store as a single remedy in liquids or pills, and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Nail-biting; Prostate Enlargement; Tonsillitis; Worms (Pin or Thread).
Not all the listed symptoms and ailments have to present before the remedy will help but the person’s general state should match that of the remedy. While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage regime so are best managed by a qualified homeopath.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 to 4 hours (1 hour for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.