Common Names: Barberry.
Berberis vulgaris (Berb.) is an important remedy for neuralgic pain or colic of any part of the body but especially the joints and muscles and the urinary system. The mucous membranes tend to be dry and saliva thick and sticky. Sharp twinging, stitching, shooting or radiating pains caused by cystitis, kidney stones and types of arthritis are rapidly relieved by this remedy. It enables the passage of kidney stones with much reduced colic.
- Low back pain or sciatica with the keynote symptoms of twinging, shooting or radiating pains.
- Pain, stiffness and lameness of small of back so that rising from sitting is almost impossible – the person has to push themselves up with their hands.
- Kidney stones with sharp pains that radiate or extend downwards.
- Renal colic with radiating pain.
- Bubbling or gurgling sensations in the region of the kidney.
- Cystitis with radiating pain before and after urination.
- Sudden twinges or stitching pain.
- Wandering arthritic pain that moves from joint to joint.
- Pain from sciatica or renal colic that radiates down the legs.
- Arthritis or gout with sudden, sharp, radiating pain.
Where do I find it?
Berberis vulgaris (Berb.) is available from our online store as a single remedy in either pills or liquid, and as part of the following Complex (combination remedy): Renal Stone Colic.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 5 minutes to 4 hours (5 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our free weekly newsletter, full of world news on homeopathy. Subscribe to it at: http://mad.ly/signups/46424/join.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.