Common Names: White bryony; wild hop; false mandrake.
Homeopathic Bryonia is prepared from the scrambiling white bryony vine. Bryonia complaints are worsened by movement and relieved by rest and stillness. This keynote extends the mental-emotional sphere – Bryonia patients are irritable, dislike being disturbed, and want to be left alone. They are thirsty but drink infrequently, and then in large amounts. Inflammatory complaints have a slow rather than rapid onset. Injuries and inflammations feel better for pressure – even to the point of lying on them – and may be worsened by changes in the weather.
- Thirsty with dry mouth and coated tongue but drinks large amounts at long intervals.
- Heavy sensation, like a stone, after eating.
- Constipated with hard, dry, large stool.
- Headache from constipation.
- Onset of appendicitis.
- Bursting, splitting headache – usually left-sided or starting over left eye and then extending to the whole head.
- Worse for any movement, even of the eyes – must close them.
- Headache with constipation.
Sprains and Fractures
- Pain from the slightest movement – even of other body parts.
- Sprains improved by firm binding.
- Inflamed joints with swelling and stiffness.
- Rheumatic pain in joints and muscles – relieved by keeping still.
- Fractured ribs – better for pressure or lying on the fractured side.
- Dry, painful cough – must hold chest when coughing.
- Cough with gagging and vomiting.
- Cough worsened by motion, drinking, eating, going into a warm room.
- Irritable – lies still and wants to be left alone.
- Dry lips and coated tongue – drinks large amounts infrequently.
- Bursting, splitting headache, worsened by movement.
- Internally hot but chilly, cold skin.
- Useful for fractures, joint pain and injury when the following symptoms are present.
- Wants to be alone – dislikes being disturbed.
- Reluctant to move – lies quiet and still on the painful side.
- Dry mouth but drinks large amounts infrequently.
Where do I find it?
Bryonia alba (Bry.) is available from our online store as a single remedy, and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Cough – Dry; Fracture Help; Mastitis; Joints – Sore; Winter Defence.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 2 to 4 hours (2 hours for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our free weekly newsletter, full of world news on homeopathy. Subscribe to it at: http://mad.ly/signups/46424/join.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.