Common Names: Spanish fly.
Cantharis Vesicatoria (Canth.) is prepared from an iridescent green beetle which contains cantharidin, a toxic blistering agent which, in small amounts, has also been used as an aphrodisiac. Be warned though, deaths have occurred from its use. In safe homeopathic potencies, however, it is a remedy for inflammation of the mucous or serous membrane, mainly those of the urinary tract, but the respiratory or gastrointestinal membranes may also be affected. Symptoms emerge rapidly. Inflammations produce intense cutting or burning pains and membranes blister or ulcerate. Bright lights or reflective surfaces such as mirrors irritate, and coffee worsens the symptoms. Cantharis vesicatoria (Canth.) has also been used for types of mania.
- intense bladder or urethral inflammation (cystitis or urethritis).
- Violent burning pain in the bladder with constant and intense urging.
- Urine passes in drops and feels like scalding water.
- Cystitis with free blood or large clots in the urine.
- Increased sexual desire during inflammation of the bladder or urethra
- Excessive sexual desire that can’t be satisfied.
Gastrointestinal (Digestive) Symptoms
- Burning thirst with an aversion to drinking.
- Burning and bloodstained diarrhoea, especially if accompanied by bladder inflammation.
- Burning gastritis or peritonitis.
- Skin burns with intense pain.
- Burning and itching blisters.
- Anger and irritability from intense burning or cutting pains.
- Violent behaviour from burning and cutting pains.
- Historically, Cantharis has been used to treat intense states of violent mania.
- Bladder inflammation combined with meningitis / encephalitis which results in mania.
- Cystitis with pain and urging.
- Burns and scalds.
Where do I find it?
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, also contact your healthcare provider during emergency situations or if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 15 minutes to 4 hours (15 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.
Comments are moderated and may take up to 24 hours to appear.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.