Common Names: Vegetable charcoal; Carbo-veg.
The symptoms of Carbo vegetabilis (Carb-v.) involve weakness of either vitality or digestion. Physical symptoms include debility – even to the point of collapse, sluggishness, breathlessness, indigestion, bloating, belching and flatulence. The person may have “air hunger” and want fresh air or to be fanned. Even though they feel chilly, they don’t want to be covered. Mental-emotional symptoms include apathy, indifference, poor memory, depression, and irritability – especially with family members. Physical and mental-emotional symptoms may co-exist with or be caused by chronic health problems or slow recovery from surgery.
- Indigestion from fatty, rich foods – may lead to offensive wind (gas) or diarrhoea.
- Bloating, discomfort and pain relieved for short periods only by belching or passing gas (wind).
- Flatulence worse at night, on lying down, or when wearing tight clothing.
- Desires sweet or salty food.
- Breathlessness from overeating or bloating.
- Must sit up in bed to breath easily.
- Before fainting, or during recovery, wants fresh air and to be fanned.
- Pale face.
- Cold sweat
- Cold sweat.
- Cold, pale or bluish skin but doesn’t want to be covered.
- Breathless or gasping.
- From food or carbon monoxide, when the above general symptoms are present.
- States of collapse, or near death states, where the animal is gasping or in shock.
- Cold skin or paws.
- Digestive upsets with bloating, distension and flatulence.
Where do I find it?
Carbo vegetabilis (Carb-v.) is available from our online store as a single remedy, and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Indigestion; Irritable Bowel; Overindulgence & Hangover; Receding Gums.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 15 minutes to 4 hours (15 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.