Common Names: Cochineal (N. O. Hemiptera).
Coccus cacti (Coc-c) is a remedy for types of cough, including whooping cough, that are accompanied by thick or stringy discharges from mucous membranes. Coughs and other symptoms worsen in Winter, cold weather and open air, and paradoxically, in warm rooms.
- Rawness, scraping, or tickling that worsens on getting warm in bed.
- Sensation of a crumb which triggers cough.
- Thick, sticky and difficult to expectorate mucus.
- Cough from irritation or tickling in the throat or chest.
- Cough from brushing teeth or rinsing mouth.
- Cough improves with cold drinks or cold air.
- Paroxysms of cough.
- Cough with retching, vomiting or choking.
- Racking cough that ends in vomiting of clear ropy mucus.
- Cough with thick or ropy mucus hanging in strings from the mouth.
- Types of pertussis (whooping cough).
- Impaired hearing from thickened mucus.
- Renal colic with shooting, stabbing pains from kidneys to bladder.
Where do I find it?
Coccus cacti (Coc-c.) is available from our online store as a single remedy in either pills or liquid, and as part of the following Complex (combination remedy): Cough (Loose).
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 30 minutes to 4 hours (30 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.