Know Your Remedies: Colocynthis (Coloc.)
Common Names: Bitter apple; bitter cucumber; bitter gourd.
Colocynthis is a remedy for intense neuralgic pain, colic, and cramps, especially in the abdomen. This pain will be caused and worsened by strong or pent-up emotions such as anger or indignation. Colicky pains may be caused by gallstones, kidney stones, menstruation, but is most often intestinal in origin. The person will be restless or twisting with the pain but find relief by applying hard pressure or bending double. Numbness of the area may follow the pains.
- Impatient, irritable, and easily angered.
- Easily offended – humiliated by small things.
- Anger with intense pain, or intense pain caused by anger.
- Sharp, cutting pains on one side of head or face, or in one eye.
- Neuralgic toothache that extends to head, face and ear.
- Pain caused by emotions.
- Feels as if intestines “squeezed between stones”.
- Agonising pain.
- Pain relieved by hard pressure or lying on abdomen.
- Must bend double with the pain.
- Severe dysmenorrhoea (painful periods) relieved by heat and pressure.
- Right-side sciatic pain, shooting or band-like, which is worsened by motion but relieved by hard pressure.
- May be followed by numbness in the leg.
Where do I find it?
Colocynthis (Coloc.) is available from our online store as a single remedy in either pills or liquid and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Colic; Irritable Bowel; Cramps – Menstrual.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment also contact your healthcare provider during emergency situations or if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For the home treatment of acute and self-limiting complaints take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 minute to 4 hours (1 minute for intense or emergency symptoms (plus seek emergency help), 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance.
Note: Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment by a qualified homeopath to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that may be required.