Common Names: Bitter melon; bitter cucumber; bitter squash; bitter gourd.
Colocynthis is a remedy for intense neuralgic pain, colic, and cramps, especially in the abdomen. This pain will be caused and worsened by strong or pent-up emotions such as anger or indignation. Colicky pains may be caused by gallstones, kidney stones, menstruation, but is most often intestinal in origin. The person will be restless or twisting with the pain but find relief by applying hard pressure or bending double. Numbness of the area may follow the pains.
- Impatient, irritable, and easily angered.
- Easily offended – humiliated by small things.
- Anger with intense pain, or intense pain caused by anger.
- Sharp, cutting pains on one side of head or face, or in one eye.
- Neuralgic toothache that extends to head, face and ear.
- Pain caused by emotions.
- Feels as if intestines “squeezed between stones”.
- Agonising pain.
- Pain relieved by hard pressure or lying on abdomen.
- Must bend double with the pain.
- Severe dysmenorrhoea (painful periods) relieved by heat and pressure.
- Right-side sciatic pain, shooting or band-like, which is worsened by motion but relieved by hard pressure.
- May be followed by numbness in the leg.
Where do I find it?
Colocynthis (Coloc.) is available from our online store as a single remedy in either pills or liquid and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Colic; Irritable Bowel; Cramps – Menstrual.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 5 minutes to 4 hours (5 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our free weekly newsletter, full of world news on homeopathy. Subscribe to it at: http://mad.ly/signups/46424/join.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.