Common Names: Hemlock; poison hemlock.
Hemlock (Conium maculatum) is probably best known as the poison by which Socrates took his life. Prepared in homeopathic potencies it is a safe treatment for types of paralysis, slowness and rigidity (mental or physical), hard glandular swellings or tumours, and complaints arising from sexual abstinence or suppression of sexual desire. Those needing Conium avoid the light, like salt, coffee and sour things, and find that wine or milk disagrees. Physical slowness or rigidity is worse on first moving but improves with continued motion.
- Slow deterioration in which the person becomes withdrawn, gloomy, closed, flat, hard, and dull. Mental dullness or confusion.
- Vertigo, especially on lying or when turning in bed.
- Photophobia – aversion to light. Watering with photophobia.
- Tendency to styes.
- Hard, swollen cervical glands.
- Premature ejaculation. Impotence.
- Ailments from suppressed sexual desire or abstinence.
- Prostatic tumours or enlargement.
- Perspiration on closing eyes or falling asleep.
- Gradual paralysis starting in lower limbs.
- Progressive weakness to the point of paralysis.
- Difficulty rising from squatting because of weakness or paralysis.
- Pain and swelling of breasts before menses (periods).
- Types of breast cancer with hard lumps that often involve underarm lymph nodes.
- Problems at menopause – vertigo, flushes, perspiration.
- History of breast cancer associated with, or followed by, other Conium symptoms.
Where do I find it?
Conium maculatum (Con.) is available from our online store as a single remedy in either pills or liquid, and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Prostate Enlargement; Styes.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 to 4 hours (once every hour for intense symptoms or once every 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.