Common Names: Round-leaved sundew; common sundew.
Drosera rotundifolia is a carnivorous plant which traps insects by its sticky tentacles and then extracts nutrients from their bodies by dissolving them with enzymes. When potentised, Drosera becomes a significant homeopathic remedy for various types of coughs, and especially whooping cough. In addition, it’s a useful remedy for types of bone or “growing” pains and breathlessness, both of which are worse after midnight. Those who need Drosera may also have a family or personal history of tuberculosis.
- Restless, stubborn, and suspicious.
- Difficult concentration with restlessness.
- Easily angered.
- Feels persecuted by others, or that others can’t be trusted.
- Anxiety when alone.
- Fear of ghosts.
Cough and Respiratory Problems
- Cough as soon as head touches the pillow.
- Paroxysmal, spasmodic cough.
- Unable to catch breath with cough.
- Cough with retching and vomiting.
- Cough so severe that it triggers nosebleeds.
- Constriction in throat on talking.
- Cough from irritation in the larynx.
- Cold sweat with cough
- Asthma with a history of tuberculosis.
- Writer’s cramp.
- Spasm in fingers when grasping something.
- Growing pains with restlessness.
- Joint problems or joint pain when other Drosera symptoms also present.
- Cough with gagging or retching.
- Kennel cough in dogs.
Where do I find it?
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 15 minutes to 4 hours (15 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.