Common Names: Iron; Iron powder; ferrum reductum.
Those needing Ferrum Metallicum (Ferr.) have uneven and changeable moods, skin colour (pale to flushed) and circulation (from vasomotor disturbances). They may have a rosy complexion and look healthy but will complain of tiredness, chilliness, breathlessness, or joint and muscle pain that improves with movement.
Symptoms usually worsen at night and paradoxically, they feel worse for exertion and being still (sitting or lying) but better for gentle motion such as slow walking. There is a tendency to obesity and anaemia. While fat and eggs may disagree, tomatoes, sour foods and sweets are often craved.
- Irritable and intolerant – especially when contradicted.
- Domineering or aggressive.
- Extreme sensitivity to noise.
- Conversation aggravates.
- Desire to be alone – will avoid the sight of people, even close friends.
- Preoccupied by business matters.
- Hammering headache with thirstlessness and lack of appetite.
- Headache that worsens with stooping (bending).
- Long continuous headaches that may last for days.
- Redness of face with emotion, motion, exertion, pain or vomiting.
- Alternating paleness and flushing.
- Breathlessness that improves with slow walking.
- Heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Aching of joints or muscles that worsens when still but relieved by slow walking.
Where do I find it?
Ferrum Metallicum (Ferr.) is available from our online store as a single remedy in either pills or liquid, and as part of the following Complex (combination remedy): Rotator Cuff & Shoulder Pain.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 2 to 4 hours (once every 2 hours for intense symptoms or once every 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.