Common Names: Ferrum phos; iron phosphate; ferrous phosphate.
This remedy is best known as the “no clear symptoms” remedy. Vague and general symptoms such as fever, pain or inflammation may be present but they don’t have the distinctive or identifying features seen with other remedies. For example, a headache worsened by movement points to Bryonia, and a pulsating headache points to Belladonna, but with Ferrum Phos, the headache is “just be a headache”. Even when a distinctive symptom does sit within the Ferrum Phos profile, such as the face alternating between pale and red, it is not often seen. As a result, Ferrum Phos is mostly used after a process of elimination – when symptoms are so vague that no other remedy suits.
- Headaches with fever.
- Face colour alternates between pale and red.
- Sensitive to light during fevers.
Ear, Nose, & Throat Problems
- Ear pain and inflammation with no discharge (from nose or ear).
- Deafness from colds, especially in children.
- Bright nosebleeds in children.
- Raw, painful sensation on soft palate (posterior nares) on inspiration.
- Redness and swelling of the tonsils.
Gastrointestinal (Digestive) Problems
- Thirsty, usually for cold drinks.
- Vomiting of food soon after eating.
- Heartburn or indigestion after eating meat.
- Early stages of bronchitis in children.
- First stage of pneumonia with no clear symptoms.
- Cough with bright, blood-streaked expectoration.
- Fever, often high, but with no other distinctive symptoms.
- Headache and light sensitivity with fever.
- Early stage of inflammation or fever when no other symptoms are seen.
Where do I find it?
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 to 4 hours (1 hour for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.