Common Names: Pencil lead; graphite; plumbago.
Graphites (Graph.) is a remedy for anxiety and uncertainty with different types of skin complaints. The person is chilly, prone to obesity, dislikes sweet things – especially sweet things with meat, and prefers chicken. Symptoms (mental- emotional or physical) may be worsened by cold, hunger, and first waking in the morning. Physical symptoms tend to be worse on the left side, pains may move to the part being lain on, and, in spite of the person feeling chilly, symptoms worsen in warm rooms. Sensations of numbness or deadness may be experienced.
- Slow thinking. Irresolution. Difficult concentration.
- Full of doubts. Finds it hard to make a decision.
- Lack of confidence and anxious – expects things to be difficult.
- Excitable and upset by small, inconsequential things.
- Weeps easily and may weep to music. Feels better by expressing emotions.
- Brain feels numb.
- Psoriasis of scalp, especially on the back of the head.
- Cracks or eruptions behind the ears.
- Sticky discharges from eruptions – like honey – that dry into golden crystals.
- Itchy eruptions that must be scratched to the point of bleeding.
- Sensitive to light. Photophobia.
- Gastritis or gastric ulcers – pains relieved by eating or drinking milk.
- Eruptions on upper, inner thighs or genital herpes.
- Loss of erection during intercourse.
- Unhealthy skin – excoriated, thickened or coarse, lumpy scars, warts, callouses, scales, cracks and fissures, tinea, hives, or herpes.
- Cracks or fissures occur in the angles of fingertips, eyes, nostrils, mouth, anus – where skin and mucous membranes meet.
- Thickened, hard, or deformed nails.
Where do I find it?
Graphites (Graph.) is available from our online store as a single remedy in either pills or liquid, and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Cold Sores (Oral Herpes); Dandruff; Nails (Soft or Brittle); Styes; Warts.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 2 to 4 hours (2 hours for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.