Common Names: Witch hazel; .
Hamamelis virginiana is a useful remedy for fragile veins, venous congestion and bleeding. Veins are enlarged and feel bruised or sore, especially when touched or pressed. Bleeding (haemorrhage) from veins is passive rather than rapid or profuse. An internal pressing pain may be present, and any weakness is out of proportion for the amount of blood lost. (especially with haemorrhoids).
- May easily become haughty or discontented.
- Easily offended when others don’t pay attention to their opinions.
- Black eye.
- Passive and prolonged bleeding after dental work.
Ear, Nose and Throat
- Passive or active nosebleeds (epistaxis).
- Nosebleeds that occur instead of menstruation.
- Tendency to nosebleeds when varicose veins and haemorrhoids are also present.
- Varicose veins.
- Distended, congested and fragile veins that rupture and bleed easily.
- Sore or stinging veins.
- Phlebitis (inflammation of the veins).
- Bleeding haemorrhoids.
- Varicose veins.
- Painful varicose ulcers.
- Vicarious menstruation, especially with nosebleed.
- Varicose veins of the vulva.
- Passive and dark menstrual flow.
- Variocoele (enlarged veins within the scrotum).
Where do I find it?
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 15 minutes to 4 hours (15 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.