Common Names: Hepar; Hepar sulph.
Hepar Sulphuris Calcareum (Hep.) is prepared from the burnt remains of flowers of sulphur and calcium from inner layer of oyster shells. Those who need Hepar Sulph feel chilly, hate drafts and dislike being touched. They are irritable, easily angered, and over-sensitive to pain. Even the thought of pain or injury makes them cringe or shiver. Pain is perceived as pricking, sticking, or splinter-like. Cuts, wounds or injuries heal slowly, and can fester or abscess easily with offensive pus. Infections or perspiration smell sour or like old cheese. Cravings for pungent food, fat, and sour flavours such as vinegar are common.
- Ear pain worsened by cold air, drafts, and wind.
- Intense ear pain causing children to scream.
- Sleeps on the painful ear to keep it warm.
Throat and Respiratory Problems
- Laryngitis or pharyngitis with every cold.
- Splinter-like pains that extend to the ears on swallowing.
- Pain relieved by warm drinks; worsened by cold drinks.
- Lingering croup.
- Bronchitis with slow recovery.
- Painful gum abscesses.
- Painful, bleeding gums.
- Toothache worsened by cold drinks.
- Unhealthy skin – wounds fester easily and slow to heal.
- Chapped and cracked skin or eczema.
- Sour or old-cheese odor.
- Painful cold sores.
- Painful acne with pus.
- Painful abscesses with pricking, splinter-like pains.
- Sensitive to touch – even clothes cause pain on sensitive parts.
- Abscesses or slow healing wounds with offensive pus.
- Dislike cold temperatures, drafts and wind.
Where do I find it?
Hepar Sulphuris Calcareum (Hep.) is available from our online store as a single remedy, and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Cough – Dry; Cough – Loose; Croup; Earache; Gum Abscess; Mastitis; Sore Throat; Teething; Toothache.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 2 to 4 hours (2 hours for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.