Common Names: Hypericum; St John’s Wort.
Hypericum Perforatum (Hyper.) is especially useful for injuries to nerve-rich areas such as fingers, toes, and the spine (especially the coccyx). It relieves the intense pain – either sharp, or shooting upwards along the nerve – that follows crushes, blows, cuts, grazes, or puncture wounds to these areas. It also helps some types of phantom pain, and shock, or ailments that follow shock. Those needing Hypericum usually want warm drinks.
Bites and Stings
- Shooting pains up nerve pathways following animal bites and stings.
- Puncture wounds.
- Injuries to finger-tips.
- Shooting pain following injuries to the spine – worsened by raising arms.
- Severe shooting pain upward along nerve pathways following injury (e.g. following a toenail or fingernail torn off, a finger jammed in a door, standing on a nail.)
- Sore, bruised, shooting pains in tailbone (coccyx) following injury or childbirth.
- Shooting nerve pain after dental.
- Shooting nerve pain following surgery.
- Painful scars.
- Puncture or crush wounds.
- Insect bites and stings which are very sensitive to touch.
Where do I find it?
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 5 minutes to 4 hours (5 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.