Common Names: Ledum; marsh Labrador tea; wild rosemary.
Ledum palustre (Led.) is an important remedy for puncture wounds from stings, bites, or nail or thorn penetration. The affected area swells, feels cold to touch, and is mottled or bluish. It also suits joint swelling, pain or gout that is better for cold applications (even ice) and worsened by warmth. Those needing Ledum often dislike company and want to be alone.
Bites and Stings
- Animal, insect, or tick bites and stings that become cold, puffy and mottled.
- Pain from puncture wounds (such as nails in sole of foot) or cuts to hands and feet which are relieved by cold compresses and worsened by warmth.
- Septic states of wounds with swelling, mottling and coldness.
- Person may feel cold but cold applications relieve joint pains while warmth aggravates them.
- Pain and stiffness in joints – better for cold applications and worse for warmth.
- Rheumatism or pain starts in the small joints of lower limbs and moves upwards.
- Rheumatism worsened by getting warm in bed.
- Gout, especially of feet and knees, relieved by cold.
- Sprains of joints, especially ankles.
- Itching of feet and ankles.
- Black eye – pain in eyeball relieved by cold compresses.
- Puncture wounds.
- Bites from fights.
Where do I find it?
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 15 minutes to 4 hours (15 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.