Common Names: Mercury; quicksilver; Merc sol.
Mercurius Solubilis (Merc.), comes from highly toxic mercury but is safe to use when prepared as homeopathic potencies. The complaints it treats are associated with offensive discharges – bad breath, pus, sweat, catarrh or smelly urine or stool. Glands swell with infections. and wounds or abscesses fester easily and heal slowly. The person is sensitive to extremes of temperature – hot or cold – catches colds easily, and is sweaty. The tongue, especially with colds, sinus or throat infections, is large, flabby, and indented by the teeth. Symptoms are usually worse at night.
- Swollen, ulcerated tonsils or throat with swollen cervical glands – quinsy.
- Pain extends into ears on chewing or swallowing.
- Increased saliva, offensive breath, flabby tongue with teeth indents.
- Shallow, painful ulcers with a bad taste in mouth.
- Increased saliva with metallic taste and offensive breath.
- Ear infections with stabbing pain, swollen glands and bad breath.
- Offensive or bloody ear discharge.
- Bad taste in mouth with increased saliva with offensive breath.
- Spongy, receding gums that bleed easily – gingivitis or gum abscesses.
- Gray teeth.
- Swollen, painful salivary glands with profuse sweating.
- Increased saliva with offensive breath.
- Furuncles, boils, and pimples that leave deep scars.
- Shallow ulcers with proud flesh.
- Excessive perspiration with excoriation.
- Moist eczema.
Vaginal and Genital Complaints
- Thrush with itching, burning, and ulcers.
- Offensive, green discharge.
- Phimosis or swelling of foreskin.
- Gingivitis or gum infections with bad breath.
- Ulcers on mucous membranes of mouth, eyes, nose or genitals.
- Offensive discharges from wounds or inflammations – slow to heal.
Where do I find it?
Mercurius Solubilis (Merc.) is available from our online store as a single remedy, and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Common Cold – Thick; Earache; Gum Abscess; Mouth Ulcer; Receding Gums; Sinus Pain; Sore Throat; Toothache.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 2 to 4 hours (2 hours for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.