Common Names: Mayapple; wild mandrake; American mandrake; ground lemon.
Podophyllum peltatum (Podo) is one of the remedies to consider for gastrointestinal upsets and prolapsing of the rectum or uterus. It also suits types of colitis and inflammatory bowel disorders. Stools (bowel motions) will be watery, profuse, loose or explosive).
Symptoms may alternate, for example: headache alternating with diarrhoea; constipation alternating with diarrhoea; or headache alternating with liver complaints. They also worsen during Summer and hot weather, during the early morning – especially 4 – 5am and improve when bending forward or lying on abdomen.
- Depressed and sad during gastrointestinal upsets.
- Empty, sinking, or anxious feeling after stool.
- Rolling of head from side to side.
- Rumbling and gurgling in the abdomen.
- Abdominal pain with cramping before diarrhoea. Pain relieved by bending forward.
- Diarrhoea with weakness and faintness.
- Watery profuse diarrhoea – strong-smelling.
- Profuse, forcible stool mixed with gas and spluttering.
- Explosive diarrhea – soiling the whole toilet bowl.
- Prolapse of rectum – worse during stool, pregnancy or after delivery.
- Prolapse of uterus – worse during stool, pregnancy, and after delivery.
- Pain in ovary, especially the right, that extends down the thigh.
- Moaning in sleep.
Where do I find it?
Podophyllum peltatum (Podo.) is available from our online store as a single remedy in either pills or liquid, and as part of the following Complex (combination remedy): Irritable Bowel (IBS).
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 to 4 hours (hourly for intense symptoms, once every 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.