Common Names: Rue; herb-of-grace.
Ruta graveolens (Ruta) is useful for rheumatic and connective tissue problems, especially following chronic overuse, strain, or injury of joints or tendons. Small tendons of the eye may also be affected. The person complains of soreness and stiffness, sometimes of the whole body. Rising from a chair may be difficult and the affected joint can feel as though it will “give way”. Pain and stiffness is worsened by cold, damp weather, and lying on the affected part. Warmth and gentle movement eases them. Anxiety and panic attacks may be associated with chronic symptoms.
- Eyestrain and headache from prolonged close work such as reading fine print or doing needlepoint.
- Stiffness, burning and redness of the eyes after overuse.
Joint and Bone Problems
- Weakness and stiffness (e.g. when rising from a chair).
- Sore and bruised pains worse during damp weather.
- Painful nodules following injury to the surface of bones covered by thin skin, such the shin.
- Ganglions, bursitis, and tendonitis.
- Nodules on tendons.
Sprains and Strains
- Injuries to tendons (e.g. tennis elbow)
- Back pain and sciatica which improve when lying.
Teeth / Dental
- Following tooth extraction to prevent dry socket.
- Sprains and lameness.
Where do I find it?
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 to 4 hours (1 hour for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.