Common Names: Saw palmetto; Choktaw; big palm.
Sabal Serrulata (Sabal.) has its main effects on the sexual and reproductory organs. It’s a key remedy for types of prostatic enlargement with dribbling urine, or difficulty in starting the flow of urine. Pains are sharp and stinging, come and go quickly, and tend to ‘wander’ about the body. Those needing Sabal of often have an increased desire for milk.
- Indifference and apathy.
- Want to be left alone.
- Brood about their own problems.
- Dislike or angered by sympathy.
- Iritis with prostatic enlargement.
- Chronic bronchitis.
- Wheezing cough throughout the night until 6am.
- Dribbling or retention of urine due to swelling of the prostate gland.
- ‘Homeopathic catheter’ for an inability to pass urine from an enlarged prostate.
- Constant desire to urinate at night.
- Impotence and atrophy (shrivelling) of the testes.
- Discharge of prostatic fluid.
- Thick semen that burns along the spermatic cord.
- Intercourse painful at time of emission.
- Enlarged prostate gland.
- Tender and enlarged ovaries.
- Enlarged uterus.
- Atrophied (shrivelled) or underdeveloped breasts
Where do I find it?
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 to 12 hours (once every hour for intense symptoms or once every 12 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.