Common Names: Common cuttlefish; European cuttlefish.
Sepia is considered a main remedy for women but men and children also need it at times. While children may be lively and excitable, adults are inclined to weariness, indifference, hardness, and irritability. These physical and mental-emotional symptoms surprisingly improve with vigorous exercise. The person feels chilly, craves chocolate and sour things such as vinegar but dislikes fats, and consolation or sympathy. Symptoms generally improve in the evening, and milky discharges are common (mucus, vomit, urine, vaginal.)
- Absent minded and forgetful. Dull, difficult thinking.
- Lack of attachment and inability to feel love. Aversion to family members.
- Irritability and easily angered. Want to be left alone.
- Sarcastic, cutting comments, often followed by guilt and remorse.
- Feel better when occupied. Mothers often prefer work outside the home.
- Symptoms worse before, during, and after menstruation
- Aversion to sexual intercourse. May feel guilty about their lack of interest.
- Left-sided headaches, especially over the left eye.
- Heaviness or drooping of eyelids during headache.
Menstrual / Menopausal Problems
- Premenstrual syndrome.
- Periods early, scanty, heavy, or painful.
- Bearing down sensation with menstruation.
- Hot flushes during menopause.
- Types of psoriasis
Urogenital and Gynaecological Problems
- Stress incontinence (leakage of urine) with exertion, cough, sneeze, or laughter.
- Types of genital herpes and warts.
- Vaginitis with a white, milky discharge that causes itching.
- Prolapse of the uterus with a bearing down sensation.
- Infertility or tendency to miscarriage.
- Empty feeling in stomach, even after eating.
- Nausea and vomiting when pregnant – worsened by food odors.
- Cracking of lips at the bottom centre or at the corners.
- Sensation of a lump in the rectum
- Disinterest in surroundings, offspring, or companion animals.
- Thrush, prolapse, or infertility.
Where do I find it?
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 to 4 hours (1 hour for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.