Common Names: Flint; silica.
Silicea Terra (Sil.) is a remedy for weakness and lack of resilience of both the physical and mental-emotional areas. Those needing it lack confidence and suffer from anticipation anxiety. They are prone to recurrent infections in which glands may swell. They are thirsty, tire easily, and are prone to constipation with a receding (“bashful”) stool. While the person is generally chilly, perspiration may be excessive on hands and feet, or scalp (especially in sleep) and smell sour. If sweat is suppressed, especially on the feet, other health complaints follow. Infants needing Silica may “fail to thrive” and develop slowly throughout childhood. Physical problems arise with bone, hair, nails, teeth formation due to poor metabolism.
- Infected tear duct.
- Blocked tear duct of the newborn.
- Sweat on the scalp, especially during sleep.
- Offensive sweat on the feet which may excoriate feet and rot the socks.
- Acne that leaves pitted skin.
- Abscesses and boils.
- Bartholin’s cyst.
- Ingrown toenails.
- White spots on nails, or weak, distorted nails.
- Sinusitis that occurs with Meniere’s syndrome.
- Dry nasal obstruction.
- Acute and chronic ear infections (otitis media).
Gastrointestinal (Digestive) Problems
- Infants are unable to tolerate milk, even breast milk.
- Prone to infections or abscesses of the gum.
Bone & Joint Problems
- Spinal defects and curvatures (scoliosis, lordosis and kyphosis).
- Tendency to infections such as abscesses or mastitis.
- Failure to thrive – runt of the litter.
Where do I find it?
Silicea Terra (Sil.) is available from our online store as a single remedy, and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Conjunctivitis; Earache; Foot Sweat; Gum Abscess; Joints – Stiff; Mastitis; Receding Gums; Sinus Pain; Teething; Tear Duct.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, also contact your healthcare provider during emergency situations or if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 to 4 hours (1 hour for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.