Common Names: Roasted sea sponge.
Spongia tosta (Spong.) is a remedy for dry mucous membranes (mouth, nose, throat, and larynx), dry coughs, swollen or inflamed glands, and types of respiratory and cardiac (heart) problems. Symptoms often commence or worsen before midnight and lying on the right side but improve for warm drinks and food or lying on the back. The person frequently feels chilly.
- Anxiety or fear of heart disease, suffocation, and death – often with a sense of uneasiness around the heart.
- Wakes at night with fear of suffocation.
- Sore throat worse for sweets.
- Dry tickling that causes a cough.
- Constriction in throat, especially on waking.
- Swelling of the thyroid gland.
- Dryness of mucous membranes in nose, throat and chest.
- Colds descend and affect the larynx (vocal cords).
- Dry asthma.
- Asthma better for leaning forward and pulling head backwards to breathe.
- Types of tuberculosis.
- Dry cough – hollow, crowing, or croupy.
- Like a seal’s bark or a saw being pulled through wood.
- Relieved by warm food or drinks.
- Types of goitre and hyperthyroidism.
- Types of testicular disorders.
- Swelling or inflammation of the testes, epididymis, and spermatic cords.
- Wakes with a suffocating feeling either from tightness in the throat, croup, cough, or from asthmatic or cardiac problems. ‘Sleeps into an aggravation’.
Where do I find it?
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 15 minutes to 4 hours (15 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.