Common Name: White hellebore, European white hellebore, false helleborine.
Veratrum album (Verat.) is easily recognised by its pronounced mental-emotional state or intense physical symptoms. Those who do well with Veratrum are excessively ambitious, haughty, and generally unconcerned about the effect of their behaviours and attitude on others. Their mental restlessness can lead to mania or delusions of grandeur.
On the physical level, Veratrum is a remedy for severe or simultaneous vomiting and diarrhoea, cramps and spasms, profuse cold sweat, and weakness or collapse. Historically, it was used for cholera as a treatment or preventative when those symptoms were present. With or without physical symptoms, those needing Veratrum may complain about chilliness and crave sour flavours, salty things, cold drinks or ice.
Children needing Veratrum tend to be restless, precocious (advanced for age), curious or questioning. Easy frustration leads to repetitive behaviours such as nail-biting, stacking, cutting or tearing, and disobedience or behavioural problems with a lack of remorse.
- Boastful, proud, haughty, self-righteous, persistent.
- Hard, harsh, critical or rude.
- Ambitious – every possible means employed with no one spared. Lying, cheating and deception – with no remorse.
- Focused on their position in society – think they are a great person who deserves better and should be recognized.
- Insanity, megalomania and delusions – think they are Christ or a messenger from God. Excessive praying.
- Squandering of money.
- Digestive upsets – especially spring and autumn or during menstrual period.
- Simultaneous vomiting and diarrhea (food poisoning, cholera). Projectile vomiting.
- Coldness and blueness of extremities, especially during collapse.
- Painful menstrual periods with coldness, vomiting diarrhea, and weakness or collapse.
- Profuse, cold sweat, especially on forehead or with weakness or collapse.
Where do I find it?
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 15 minutes to 4 hours (15 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.