Common Names: Calendula; marigold..
Calendula Officinalis (Calen.) is prepared from the marigold plant of the daisy family. It’s used in herbal tinctures and homeopathic potencies to soothe sunburnt or chafed skin, control infection, and stimulate healing in wounds and lacerations. It can be used either topically (directly on the skin) or internally in homeopathic potencies. (If being applied topically, check the cream or lotion does not contain irritating alcohol.)
Injuries and Wounds
- All types of wounds – open, torn, cut, lacerated, ragged, infected or suppurating.
- Abrasions, incisions, and bed sores.
- Wounds that threaten infection.
- Infected ulcers.
- Surgical wounds with poor healing and slow closure.
- Stems bleeding from lacerations.
- Chapped hands.
- Helpful for skin conditions in which topical cortisone may otherwise be needed.
- Stems bleeding from dental extractions, reduces the risk of infection, and promotes healing.
- May have anxious thoughts that “something bad” will happen.
- Any sort of wound or laceration.
- Wounds or lacerations that are either infected, or threatening infection.
Where do I find it?
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 to 4 hours (1 hour for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.