Common Names: Delphinium or Larkspur staphisagria; Lice-bane; Stavesacre.
Staphisagria is a remedy for those who are gentle, sweet and selfless yet have suppressed emotions which cause physical or mental-emotional disturbances. They either crave tobacco or are aggravated by tobacco smoke, and discharges (sweat, flatus, stool) may smell like rotten eggs. They dislike being touched and may be sleepy during the day but unable to sleep at night. They also feel worse following afternoon naps. A history of domination, abuse, or rape may be present.
- Easily offended and sensitive to rudeness.
- Suppressed emotions such as indignation, anger, mortification, grief.
- Ailments from grief, insults, humiliation, and anger.
- Tendency to throw things or tremble with anger.
- Intrusive sexual thoughts – romantic or erotic – which lead to frequent masturbation.
- Low self-esteem and depression.
- Stammering and stuttering.
- Headache feels like a ball or block of wood in either the forehead or back of head.
- Styes leave small lumps in the eyelid.
- Easy decay in children.
- Pain following tooth extraction or dental surgery.
- Psoriasis eruptions, especially after grief, suppressed anger, or other strong emotions.
- Complaints following surgery or cuts. Wounds heal slowly.
- Sensitive and painful scars weeks or months following surgery.
- Constant swallowing or clearing of the throat while talking (relieves the tension of suppressed emotions).
- Colic from anger.
- Cystitis following first intercourse, or frequent cystitis after intercourse.
- Cats spraying on furniture from resentment or anger.
- Painful surgical wounds and cuts. Complaints after spaying or neutering.
Where do I find it?
Staphisagria is available from our online store as a single remedy, and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Bites and Stings; Colic; Emotional Shock; Smoke-Stop.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 to 4 hours (1 hour for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our free weekly newsletter, full of world news on homeopathy. Subscribe here.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.