Common Names: Onion; red onion.
Allium cepa (All-c.) is a key remedy for either infectious or allergic coryza (catarrhal inflammation of the mucous membranes of the nose). The person may be sleepy, find it difficult to concentrate, or feel foggy with the coryza. Symptoms are worse in the evening and in warm rooms, and are improved by open air. All-c also relieves phantom pains following amputation, especially when they feel thread-like or neuralgic. Those needing Allium cepa may especially like onions, something of interest with All-c being the potentised version of onion.
- Hay fever.
- Watery discharge from nose and eyes.
- Acrid, burning, excoriating discharge from nose but bland, watery discharge from eyes.
- Symptoms worse in evening and warm rooms; better for open air.
- Sleepiness and difficult concentration with allergies.
- Colds that move downwards to the larynx or chest. (Note: Inappropriate or overuse of Allium cepa can cause head colds to go to the chest. (If there has been no improvement in symptoms, do not use this remedy beyond 4 doses.)
- Sensation of rawness in nose.
- Dull thinking and sleepiness.
- Difficult concentration.
- Bland, watery discharge from eyes during cold or hay fever.
- Pain in larynx on coughing.
- Grasps throat on coughing.
Heel and Limb Problems
- Friction Injuries to heels from rubbing shoes.
- Blisters on heels.
- Phantom pains or neuralgia in amputation stumps.
- Worse in warm rooms and better in open air.
- Worse when eyes closed.
- Hay fever symptoms.
- Repeated sneezing.
- Cat flu with streaming eyes and nose.
Where do I find it?
Allium cepa (All-c.) is available from our online store as a single remedy, and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Common Cold – Watery; Hayfever.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 15 minutes to 4 hours (15 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our free weekly newsletter, full of world news on homeopathy. Subscribe here.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.