Common Names: Eyebright; euphrasia.
Euphrasia officinalis (Euphr.) is for catarrhal problems of the mucous membranes. It is an important hay fever and allergy remedy, especially when symptoms centre on the eyes but can also treat colds when the symptoms match. Symptoms in general are improved in the open air but are worse in the wind and in the evening.
- Conjunctivitis with burning and swelling of lids.
- Itching and burning of the margins of the lids.
- Eyes are irritated by and sensitive to the light.
- Rapid and frequent blinking to relieve irritation.
- Acrid, burning, stinging tears or discharges (discharge from nose is bland).
- Sticky mucus or pus in front of the eye – must blink rapidly to remove it.
- Symptoms are relieved by bathing the eyes.
- Sensation as if a hair hanging over the eye.
- Profuse bland discharge (while discharge or tears from eyes, burns).
- Coughing only during the daytime.
- Cough with watery eye discharge.
- Cough which is worsened by smoky air.
- Cough relieved by lying down.
- Headache from catarrhal congestion.
- Headache with profuse discharge from eyes and nose.
- Profuse, irritating discharge from eyes which are sensitive to light.
Where do I find it?
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 to 4 hours (1 hour for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.