Common Names: Nat-mur; sodium chloride; common salt.
Natrium Muriaticum (Nat-m.) is prepared from common table salt, yet, in potency, treats a large range of acute and chronic problems. Physical symptoms include dryness and cracking of skin, eczema, psoriasis, herpetic eruptions, constipation, headaches, backpain, and more. Complaints often follow grief, heartache, and disappointment. Those needing Nat-m can appear hard or closed, dislike lengthy conversation and prefer to be alone. They are sensitive and easily hurt but avoid talking about their problems and don’t like being comforted or consoled.
Colds and Respiratory Problems
- Colds that start with sneezing.
- Watery or “egg-white” nasal discharge with a salty taste.
- Blocked nose alternating with a watery post-nasal drip.
- Profuse, clear, nasal discharge.
- Sneezing with watery eyes.
- Worse from 10am to 3pm.
- Caused or worsened by sun or light.
- Following grief.
- Like a hammer beating in the head.
- Children who develop headaches either before or when at school.
- Dryness of skin.
- Oiliness of face and hair.
- Dry, chapped lips; crack in centre of lower lip.
- After sun exposure.
- Following grief.
Insomnia and Sleep Problems
- Sleeplessness from grief.
- Difficulty going to sleep, or unable to return to sleep on waking at night.
- Vivid dreams.
Grief and Disappointment
- Inability to weep or hysterical weeping.
- Weeps alone.
- Hidden grief – difficulty talking about it.
- Sadness and depression following a loss of a companion animal or owner.
Where do I find it?
Natrium Muriaticum (Nat-m.) is available from our online store as a single remedy, and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Brain Fog; Common Cold – Thick; Common Cold – Watery; Grief and Loss; Hay Fever; Headache – Tension; Headache – Migraine; Insomnia from Grief or Loss; Restless Legs; Tear Duct; Worms – Pin (Thread).
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 2 to 4 hours (2 hours for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our regular newsletter, full of information, news, discounts, and offers. Subscribe here.