Common Names: Small pasque flower.
Those needing Pulsatilla pratensis (nigricans) tend to be timid, sensitive, gentle and yielding. Physical and emotional symptoms are changeable. Though sympathetic to others, they also weep easily and crave attention, sympathy, or consolation for themselves. If not received they become irritable and jealous or feel completely unloved and alone. Joint or rheumatic pains “wander” about the body and discharges are thick, bland, and yellow/green. Symptoms are worse in warm or stuffy rooms, and better in open air.
Colds and Flu
- Blocked nose and/or sneezing in a stuffy room with profuse, bland nasal catarrh (watery in fresh air).
- Loss of smell and taste.
- Burning and itching eyelids.
- Dry at night, loose in the morning.
- Cough at night in bed that interrupts or prevents sleep.
- Eyelids burn and itch.
- Acute and chronic infections, worse in warm rooms and at night.
- Discharges are smelly, thick, yellow (glue ear).
- Conjunctivitis – thick yellow/green discharges.
- Eyelids burn or itch and feel better for cold bathing.
- Styles, worse in upper lids.
- Headaches from sun, stuffy rooms, or eating rich food – worse for movement and better in fresh air.
- Headache or migraine at the end of the menstrual period.
- Rich, fatty foods (which they like) cause nausea or indigestion.
Period (Menstrual) and Labour Problems
- Suppressed or delayed menses. May be triggered by wet feet.
- Irregular, changeable, painful menses – especially at puberty.
- Labour pains ineffectual and changeable.
- Excessive attention seeking but shy with strangers.
- Dislike stuffy, warm rooms.
- Green, bland discharges from eyes or nose, often one-sided.
- False pregnancy or desiring company and attention during labour.
Where do I find it?
Pulsatilla (Puls.) is available from our online store as a single remedy, and as part of the following Complexes (combination remedies): Anxiety; Chilblains; Common Cold – Thick; Conjunctivitis; Cough – Loose; Cramps – Menstrual; Earache; Hay Fever; Indigestion; Insomnia; Joints – Sore; Reflux; Sunburn; Tear Duct.
While the above self-limiting, acute complaints are suitable for home treatment with Pulsatilla, see your healthcare provider if your symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Arnica is also useful for a range of chronic or persistent complaints not listed; these are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
Take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 1 to 4 hours (1 hour for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance.
If you liked the information on this page you may also enjoy our free weekly newsletter, full of world news on homeopathy. Subscribe to it at: http://mad.ly/signups/46424/join.
Note: All information we provide and comments we make are from the homeopathic perspective. They are not necessarily endorsed by sectors of some governments, medico-pharmaceutical groups, “skeptic” organisations or those unfamiliar with homeopathy. Comments, references or links posted by others on this page may not reflect the opinion of Homeopathy Plus and so should not be seen as an endorsement or recommendation by Homeopathy Plus. Please see a trusted healthcare practitioner for advice on health problems. Further information about the purpose of our material may be read in our disclaimer.